Senior Software Engineer with full life cycle development experience in a diversity of environments. Particular expertise in geospatial mapping applications for the web. Effective project manager, mentor, and team player with track record of delivering successful solutions under tight deadlines. Always open to learning and taking on new challenges and responsibilities.
City of New York - DOITT,
New York, NY
GIS Developer - Geographic Information Systems
(April 2006 - June 2012)
Brought on board to serve as lead developer of core mapping framework developed for both internal city agency and public use.
- Developed public mapping website, NYCityMap, providing city residents and visitors with single point of access for all location-based city services and features.
- Designed and implemented Webmap framework, now used across 12+ city agencies. Manage ongoing enhancement of framework including feature prioritization, deployment scheduling and testing.
- Developed single field location search parser supporting 13 distinct search types.
- Developed Python scripts using ESRI's API to transform and replicate data from agency Oracle databases into simplified format used with the web mapping framework.
- Led team in conversion of projects to using Maven as a dependency management solution.
- Developed internal APIs for common needs like security, alerts, web services, and geospatial functions.
- Drove development toward service-oriented architecture through creation of web services for geocoding and geometric transformation.
- Introduced Trac software for organizing projects, creating better transparency of deliverables and work allocation.
New York, NY
Senior Developer - Financial Business Logic Group
(August 2004 - March 2006)
As Team Leader, guided the development of business functions for trade capture and risk product (Zenon) for energy trading client base.
- Added product features to facilitate purchase of power capacity utilizing Java, JMS, and Object Store database. Also designed enhancement to support Nordic power market.
- Participated in major projects to improve quality and maintainability of codebase, including remodularization, object to relational database conversion, and unit testing initiative.
- Created performance monitoring tools using AspectJ.
SunGard Trading and Risk Systems,
New York, NY
Senior Integration Developer
(May 2002 - July 2004)
Acquired increasingly more responsibility during tenure with firm, progressing from programmer to senior developer. Played active role in recruitment and interviewing of potential employees.
- Led team of developers in design and coding of new enterprise application integration (EAI) product to enable links between SunGard applications and third party systems. Cut down-time to production with significant savings to clients.
- Designed and implemented Java interface to ZaiNet software via CORBA. Expanded Java interface with JMS layer for trade capture.
- Selected to develop and deliver technical presentations to key clients including annual SunGard User Conferences in both the US and UK.
- Supported C++ interface for UK power trading.
New York, NY
(February 2000 - May 2002)
Provided full range of technical consulting services to financial organizations. Trained both technical and business users on systems.
- Knight Securities - Designed and implemented OASYS C++API financial allocation system to facilitate communication between brokers and clients.
- Wit SoundView - Developed live auction web site for IPOs and secondary offerings using Java, JSP, XML, and RMI technologies with Oracle back-end.
New York Cares,
2010 - present
(2001 - 2004)
Assisted professor with delivery of Introduction to Java continuing education course. This included curriculum design, class presentations, and grading programs.
B.S. in Computer Science
- North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, 1999
Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Geographic Information Systems
- Pennsylvania State University, 2010
- GPA 4.0
- Completed 4 online courses over one year time frame. Courses included: The Nature of Geographic Information Systems, Problem Solving with GIS, GIS Database Development, and GIS Programming and Customization.
languages and technologies
- Spring, Hibernate, Hibernate Spatial, Stripes, Dojo, JUnit, EasyMock, Apache CXF, Google Maps API v3, JQuery
- GeoServer, GeoWebCache, ESRI Arc GIS Server, Tomcat, Eclipse, Sun Java System Web Server, Trac, Subversion, EntireX